|Collection||Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield|
|Scope & Content||
Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos for the year 1980
(all photos by Josef Hartmann; all previous to 1930)
1/3 -- unidentified interior
1/10 -- unidentified, very old house on a ridge, with well, barn, and apple trees
1/17 -- Bedini brothers picture which was used for the cover of the Ridgefield "Images" book
1/24 -- the "Book Barn" on the Wilton/Ridgefield line; much background material is provided
1/31 -- unidentified little house with pond and bridge
2/7 -- Barhite and Valden general store, Main Street, prior to 1895
2/14 -- Kathryn Bryon, daughter of Dr. B. A. Bryon, at about age 13
2/21 -- Mrs. Hugh (Alberta) Shields with her "private" day school class, held in the Congregational Church parsonage
2/28 -- the Loder house (original Boys Club) on Governor Street, ca. 1920s; the Loders ran a restaurant there
3/6 -- Josef Hartmann's "band", gathered at Panzer's Barber Shop, n. d.
3/13 -- stone greenhouse at the George M. Doubleday estate on Peaceable Street, now the site of Temple Shearith Isreal
3/20 -- watering trough at Main and Catoonah Streets
3/27 -- Henry Barzetti, Matteo Serfilippi, Julius Servadio, 1915
4/3 -- Mrs. Dudley S. Morgan with a very large dollhouse
4/10 -- Adolph Panzer and Henry Clausen in costume for a comedy skit, n. d.
4/17 -- Ridgefield High School 1927 champion basketball team
4/24 -- Boy Scout (?) camp; n. d.
5/1 -- the Elms Inn, ca. 1920
5/8 -- high school class play "Penrod", 1930
5/15 -- unidentified play scene, ca. 1930
5/22 -- Meinhard Scherf, a seacaptain who went down with his torpedoed ship in 1943, with daughters Anne-Kate and Beatrice
5/29 -- Mrs. Cass Gilbert with daughter Julia Gilbert Bastedo and children, ca. 1930
6/5 -- thirteen children, some IDs provided, 1920s
6/12 -- Mr. and Mrs. Ferdinand Pambianchi ca. 1910
6/19 -- unidentified woman with two grown children
6/26 -- Lynch family and home, West Mountain, n. d.
7/2 -- Arthur & Lisa Eilenstein, Robert Wolforth and mother Clara, posed on the porch of the Eilenstein residence. The Eilenstein house, still extant, was opposite the entrance to the Manor Estates on West Lane, and later belonged to Dr. O'Toole and his wife. (The caption on the photo is wrong -- an attached article provides the correct information.) Same picture is at 1/7/82, 10/11/84, and 5/15/97).
7/10 -- view of Main Street north from the library ca. 1900, with streetcleaner H. J. Hagerty of the Village Improvement Society shown at work
7/17 -- Community Center ca. 1930
7/24 -- Garden of Mrs. Wallace T. Jones, 164 Main Street (current street number). The house later belonged to long-term resident Betty Lou Campbell.
7/31 -- Volunteer Fire Department members, n. d.
8/7 -- Rev. Nelson R. Pearson and bride Clara Kellogg, married at the Bluebird Inn on West Lane (opposite The Inn, now apartments).
8/14 -- a bishop visiting St. Stephen's. Some ID's provided (but not the name of the bishop).
8/21 -- Mr. and Mrs. John Walters, ca. 1930
8/28 -- The Allee daughters, Dorothy and Jean, in riding gear, ca. 1920
9/4 -- George Rockwell boathouse on Lake Mamanasco, then and now views
9/11 -- High school play "Clarence", 1925, performed in St. Stephen's North Hall
9/18 -- 50+ children in patriotic costumes for an unidentified celebration
9/25 -- children working on a victory garden at the Benjamin Franklin School
10/2 -- Samuel Coe in Civil War Uniform in front of the Coes' Ridgebury home ca. 1920. The property later belonged to the McKeons.
10/9 -- the current Wesley Hall, shown around 1930
10/16 -- teacher Mabel Cleves' kindergarten class ca. 1910
10/23 -- house on the east side of Nod Road near Branchville, at times owned by the Overtons, Mygatts, and Flahertys. Also in 11/5/81.
10/30 -- girls in indian costumes posed for some type of ceremony. The caption suggests they might ve Campfire Girls, but that seems unlikely.
11/6 -- Downsbury Manor, the Knox estate of Florida Hill Road, n. d.
11/13 -- the current police station of East Ridge, n. d.
11/20 -- Unidentified man with a quite large moustache. Isaac..?
11/25 -- merchant Samuel D. Keeler, ca. 1915
12/4 -- David Vail of Vail Road in North Salem, a cattle dealer
12/11 -- Main Street after the great fire of 1895
12/18 -- Unidentified oldder woman
12/23 -- the grotto at the Holy Ghost Fathers' Novitiate on Prospect Ridge. Now the town's congregate housing, the building still exists and the grotto is still there, but without the statues.
12/30 -- Pyramid Shriner, name appears to be C. Aristo; "The Gilbert Children" with a New Years Greeting.
|Title||Old Ridgefield photos from 1980|
|Caption||February 3, 1980|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|