Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2000.000.0201
Collection Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield
Object Name clippings
Scope & Content Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 2000

(no Old Ridgefield columns for missing dates)

***Note: an eight-part "Scott House Saga" appears from 10/5 through 11/22***

1/6 -- four unidentified babies by Hatrtmann, early 20th century
1/13 -- the first page of an 1875 Baxter's Monthly -- which eventually became the Ridgefield Press
1/20 -- Hartmann photo of infant Herbert Whitlock in 1907
1/27 -- blizzard of 1920 with a gentleman holding his shovel over his head to show how high the snowbank next to him was; no identification or location provided
2/10 -- Col. Knox's "Downsbury Manor" on Ivy Hill Road in the early 20th century; the place was so big it eventually became unmanageable and was torn down. Part of the 300-acre estate is now the High Valley subdivision.
2/17 -- two photos of Hester Hurlbutt as a very young child, taken in 1888 and 1889 by Josef Hartmann
2/24 -- West Lane looking west from Parley Lane, ca. 1920
3/2 -- Mary Wade and Bill Rodier in front of their flower shop on Bailey Avenue, with young Bif Phillipson and Grace Fish from the Press, ca. 1954
3/9 -- New York Daily News aerial photo of the estate generally referred to as "Manresa'" on the corner of North Salem Road and Tackora Trail; when pictured, it was owned by a well-known racketeer
3/16 -- good depiction of the Jesse Lee Church and parsonage when the church was on the corner of Main and Catoonah in the 1950s when it was served by Rev. Beers
3/23 -- actor Godfrey Cambridge at his Buck Hill Road home in 1974
3/30 -- Ridgefield Station on Prospect Street in 1889
4/6 -- rare picture of the residence once owned by Dr. Henry W. Allen and later by Dr. James Sheehan; the building once stood just south of the Nash Apartments on north Main Street, and was taken down to expand the library's parking area
4/13 -- postcard "bird's eye view" of Branchville, prominently featuring the Bridgeport Wood Refinishing Company's silex mills
4/27 -- non-Old RIdgefield photo of the West Lane/Peter Parley/Little Red Schoolhouse
5/4 -- Mary Olcott, daughter of George M., at dinner at the Stork Club, 1945
5/11 -- town hall under construction, ca. 1897
5/18 -- two views of Casagmo: one a Hartmann view and the other as it was being razed to make way for the apartment (now condominium) complex
5/25 -- a 1954 Democratic election rally for Governor Abe Ribicoff, staged in front of town hall; among those pictured are prominent Democrats Pat O'Keeffe and John (Eddie) Dowling
6/1 -- the last days of the small Governor Street building that served as the town's original library, and then headquarters of the water company; when pictured, it was the office at Francis Martin's Great Pond beach (other photos are at 5/26/94, 7/1/99, and 4/19 & 5/31/01)
6/8 -- main building of the Ridgefield School for Boys on North Salem Road in about 1912; considerable background information is provided
6/15 -- postcard view of the house at 104 Main Street, ca. 1922. Unidentified at the time of printing, the house was the home of Ridgebury Pastor Emeritus Hugh Shields and wife Alberta; son Reed had his attorney's office there in the 50s and 60s
6/22 -- a group of distinguished gentlemen in front of town hall some time before 1920; among them are Reverend Richard Shortell, George L. Rockwell, and Frank Gilbert (same picture is at 3/7/96)
6/29 -- cast of the 1934 high school play "Metuchin"
7/6 -- Karl Nash, Dick and daughter Mary (Moo Moo) Venus at Settler's Rock, July 6, 1958 (see another photo at 11/14/96)
7/13 -- house, garage, and well, identified in the caption of the Old Ridgefield photo from 7/27 as being the Keeler place at the corner of Branchville and Nod Roads, 1920s
7/20 -- Governor Street after the tornado of 1950
7/27 -- poor photo of a house in the distance, fence (?) in the foreground, no date or identification
8/3 -- cast of the high school play, "Polly with a Past", 1926
8/10 -- Catoonah Street after the blizzard of 1934
8/17 -- two boys on a makeshift seesaw, possibly Nashes from Main Street or Joneses from Farmingville, early 20th century
8/24 -- unidentified mother and child, Hartmann, early 20th century
8/31 -- two photos of young women, who may be Eliza (Reichling) Richards (n. d.) and Dorothy Richards, taken July, 1936
9/7 -- Grange fair? Garden club? Early 20th century photo of tables laden with produce
9/14 -- 1924 Jesse Lee Sunday school class
9/21 -- the sanctuaries of the third and fourth St. Stephen's churches, with engraving of the third building
9/28 -- parade celebrating the laying of the cornerstone for the Benjamin Franklin Grammar School, July 4, 1914
10/5 -- Ridgefield Historical Society member Dave Scott's artist's conception of the relocated Scott House
10/12 -- the Scott House, when still on Main Street, as seen from Catoonah Street in a illustration from Rockwell's 1927 History of Ridgefield
10/19 -- engraving of St. Stephen's third church building, which was built in 1841 and razed in 1914
10/26 -- interior of the Dr. A. L. Northrup home, September, 1889
11/2 -- the Barhite and Valden leather shop, once located on Main Street north of Bedient's; the shop served the numerous shoemakers in the area
11/9 -- view of the west side of the town center, ca. 1900: Henry Mead's grocery store, the Scott House (Mead home), Methodist Church
11/16 -- the Scott House as "The Ladies Shop", with tables of produce in front, probably from WWI victory gardens
11/23 -- the Scott Block ca. 1953-4
11/30 -- St. Mary's first communion class, ca. 1952
12/7 -- the Scott Block, shown after the blizzard of 1934
12/21 -- high school play, "China Box", 1941
12/28 -- Lou Girolmetti baby picture, early 1920s
Title Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 2000
Caption August 17, 2000
Accession number 2000.000
Lexicon category 8: Communication Artifact
Lexicon sub-category Documentary Artifact
Imagefile 004\2000000.JPG