|Collection||Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield|
|Scope & Content||
Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 1994
(no Old Ridgefield columns for missing dates)
1/6 -- painting of the Stebbins house from the 1880s, attributed to George Henry Smillie who lived on Main Street in the house immediately south of the Keeler Tavern
1/13 -- truck used for the Outpost Inn's "Meals-on-Wheels" mobile snackwagon business, which served sporting events, construction sites, etc.; from Business Week, 1946
1/20 -- panoramic view (the full width of the newspaper page) of a house on the east side of lower Main Street after a March, 1940, ice storm
1/27 -- two views of the former Altnacraig, the Hepburn residence on High Ridge, destroyed by an arsonist the week the column was printed; early view from 1925 and a later one from the '40s
2/3 -- aerial view of the intersection of Routes 7 and 35 when it was a traffic circle, known familiarly just as "The Circle" or, occasionally, "Carroll's Folly" in honor of selectman Leo Carroll who had designed it when with the state police
2/17 -- original Odd Fellows Hall on Main Street, after a heavy snowfall in about 1950
2/24 -- Main Street in the town center, view north from about the present site of Ridgefield Hardware
3/3 -- original Stonehenge Inn building ca. 1880
3/10 -- the branch train (engine and one car) at either the Ridgefield or Branchville station after a snowstorm (sources differ)
3/17 -- two views of the Methodist Church and parsonage at Catoonah and Main, one ca. 1930s and the other pre-1925
3/24 -- James Joseph (Jimmy Joe) in front of his original store building at the corner of Main and North Salem Rd.; shown with clerk Olinto Carboni
3/31 -- high school industrial arts class, ca. 1930, no ID's
4/7 -- Main Street looking south from Casagmo, snowstorm, Easter 1915
4/14 -- Ridgefield High School class of 1926, shown at Washington's Mt. Vernon on the class trip, some ID's
4/21 -- tornado damage to the high school building on East Ridge, July 1950; recently discharged Green Beret Michael Casey
4/28 -- [no picture]
5/12 -- the horse (and dog) watering trough at the intersection of Main and Catoonah Streets, a gift of John Ames Mitchell, early in the 20th century
5/19 -- five photos of the Kiwanis fishing derby at Lake Mamanasco, 1963
5/26 -- the town's first library building, later the water company headquarters, and finally the office at Great Pond; awaiting demolition, 1969 (other photos are at 7/1/99, 6/1/00, and 4/19 & 5/31/01)
6/2 -- Jerry Marcus political cartoon promoting adoption of the town charter revision in 1969
6/9 -- Tom Clark's East Ridge elementary school 6th grade class ca. 1916; some ID's
6/16 -- Aldo "Squash" Travaglini in Bissell's Drug Store, where he worked before opening his own store across the street
6/23 -- the pond and bridge at the Outpost Inn on Danbury Road, ca. 1930s
6/30 -- Jensen's Hilltop Service Station on Wilton Road West at the Wilton line, ca. 1960. The Jensens serviced automobiles in their one-bay garage, and also had a small grocery store. The building shown predated the current, vacant, service station structure. See another picture at 9/1/94; same picture is at March 6, 2003.
7/14 -- Tode's Inn at Ridgefield, 1950s
7/28 -- three WWII Life Magazine photos showing some of the steps in the process of bringing trees from FDR's Hyde Park to Outpost Nurseries to be milled into parts for wooden ships such as subchasers and minesweepers
8/4 -- Ridgefield High School baseball team, 1935; coach/principal Kip Holleran is quoted as saying, "The best team I ever coached"
8/11 -- Ridgefield High School basketball team, 1923-24
8/18 -- the town center looking north, late 1940s, as seen from the second story of the building just south of Ridgefield Hardware, probably the Gristede's Market building at the time
8/25 -- "Sunset Hall", the Stokes Estate, on Old West Mountain Road ca. 1915
9/1 -- Jensen's Hilltop Service Station on Wilton Road West
9/8 -- planting a tree in front of Bissell's drug store, 1962; in the background is future selectman Mike Venus, who clerked at the store at the time, talking to Mrs. C. S. Lee, who owned the building.
9/15 -- the Ballard home being demolished, per Mrs. Ballard's wishes, in 1965
9/22 -- championship Ridgefield High School baseball team, 1941
9/29 -- Francis Bedient behind the counter of the family store, late 1940s
10/6 -- the new aircraft spotting tower behind the high school on East Ridge in 1956; Rev. Aaron Manderbach and Dick Venus are shown on the spotting platform along with unidentified Air Force officers
10/13 -- then-senator Lowell Wiecker and Sylvia Latanzi, 1975; same picture is at 11/4/94
10/20 -- then-and-now (1947/1994) views of the Methodist Church and Carnall (Fairfield County Bank) building at the corner of Main and Catoonah which replaced it
10/27 -- then-and-now (1964/1994) views of the Ridgefield Diner and Ridgefield BMW, on Danbury Road just north of the Rte. 7 & 35 intersection. The Diner was a quite popular place at the time. The auto dealer still uses the dining room of the original building.
11/3 -- Benjamin Franklin Grammar School "Pageant of the Months" in 1927; 7th grade class, all ID'd
11/10 -- Marie Kendall photo of the Congregational Church with two children in the foreground, ca. 1889-90
11/17 -- interesting picture of the original Odd Fellows Hall on Main Street, now a toy store, with no surrounding buildings and very little tree growth in evidence. The building was built in 1929, and this may be a photo when new. The stairs leading down to the street, still present, were apparently installed as part of the original building project.
11/22 -- then-and-now (1959/1994) views of the Press building as seen from near the rear entrance to Craig's Jewelry store
12/1 -- Ridgefield Grange parade float ca/ 1915
12/8 -- Duncan Smith crank-starting a Model T on Main Street across from Bissell's, ca. 1930s
12/15 -- the great fire of December 9, 1895
12/20 -- the buildings which are currently the Raveis real estate agency and Capiello Jewelers, shown after a snowstorm with a horse and sleigh in front, probably in the '30s. At the time, the Raveis building was apparently unoccupied, and Capiello's was Shultze's meat market.
12/29 -- Elizabeth Deyer (Mrs. John Farrell) Hughes' Carnival Shop, which was once a Main Street landmark in the gap between the former Bedient building and the former Barhite Block (photo and Susan Pfeifer Scala sketch). Not evident from the picture, the small structure had a decided leaning to one side and was eventually declared unsafe for occupancy and taken down.
|Title||Old Ridgefield photos & columns from 1994|
|Caption||December 29, 1994|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|