Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1979.000.0201
Collection Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield
Object Name clippings
Scope & Content Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos for the year 1979

(all photos by Josef Hartmann)

1/4 -- north side of Bailey Avenue, viewed from the tower of the former Bedient's building
1/18 -- unidentified interior, positively identified as not being the Ballard estate
1/25 -- Charles E. and Matilda Tillie Janesky, children of F. W. Janesky
2/1 -- Coach house of the Hawk estate, still extant on Branchville Road nearly opposite East Ridge. The house itself burned down.
2/8 -- Graeloe (Ballard estate) ca. 1920s
2/15 -- Mrs. Samuel Norris (and dog); the Norrises once resided in the home at the corner of Branchville and Prospect Ridge, later owned by Romeo Petroni
2/22 -- Casagmo gardens, first terrace (n. d.)
3/1 -- Mr. & Mrs. J. H. Perry with children Nathan and Ruth, ca. 1909
3/8 -- Shelton barns and farm buildings on the Ridgefield/South Salem line, ca. 1920
3/15 -- unidentified garden
3/22 -- man and woman with two children, only identity provided "Mrs. Henry Nortrop" (sic)
3/29 -- unidentified interior
4/5 -- horse and buggy, Irv Conklin, Sr., Harry Terpenny, Leona Bedient Crouchley, Karl S. Nash costumed for the Washington Centennial, 1932
4/12 -- cast of play ca. 1901, no identities or name of play
4/19 -- State Police Barracks on East Ridge during prohibition, Leo Carroll among those pictured
4/26 -- family gathering, Gabbianelli home on New Street, 1920s
5/3 -- Gilbert/Lavatori home, once located behind Nina's Restaurant (Nina Lavatori) on Main Street at Danbury Road, ca. 1920; commercial building now occupies both sites
5/10 -- unidentified mother and child (nice photo)
5/17 -- unidentified residence
5/24 -- probably the former Manresa retreat house on North Salem Road at Tackora Trail, rear view (n. d.)
6/7 -- barn at Reginald Lewis/Scripps/Harry Neuman estate on South Salem Road opposite Cedar Lane; Lewis was the son of F. E. Lewis of Upaganstit note
6/14 -- Haven (later Della-Bovi) residence, "Homewood", on West Lane at Country Club Road, early 1920s
6/21 -- Peter Cornen house, once located on the corner of Danbury and Farmingville Roads, now site of Ridgefield Bank building
6/28 -- King/Jackson house, corner of Main Street and King Lane, ca. 1920
7/12 -- unidentified house, snow, possibly a guest house on an estate
7/19 -- Scott (now Addessi) Block, ca. 1920
7/26 -- Tator's Garage Deusenberg race car ca. 1925, driver Charles Genung
8/2 -- 1845 ad for the David Hunt Stage Line, which originated at the former McKeon residence for trips to New York
8/9 -- East Ridge seen from the original Grovelawn house on Governor Street
8/16 -- Lewisboro mansion, owner name not provided, ca. 1920s; originally misidentified as the first Phineas Lounsbury home
8/23 -- unidentified youg girl in sailor suit
8/30 -- Jim and Mary Mitchell house which once stood on Main Street where Governor Street meets; moved to Abbott Avenue when Governor Street was put through
9/6 -- unidentified couple; a Hartmann photo which was found in Newbury, England
9/20 -- B. O. Chisolm barn and cottage on High Ridge in the 1930s
9/27 -- male in female costume for a play, Ridgefield Boys School commons room, 1920s
10/4 -- Casagmo front view
10/11 -- bride Emily Hait of South Salem, wife of George Hoyt, September 1900
10/18 -- possibly Bianca Olcott, dressed for a dance recital, n. d.
10/25 -- Water tower at the former Cheesman/Holy Ghost Fathers property on Prospect Ridge, ca. 1925. See a later picture at 7/21/83 or 3/14/96.
11/1 -- porch at the Lynch Estate, West Mountain, early 20th century
11/8 -- Gabianelli/Gatti home, 85 New Street, ca. 1920
11/15 -- Rufus King residence, southwest corner of High Ridge and Peaceable Street, later replaced by the red brick Holt/Halpern estate
11/20 -- Rockwell home on East Ridge when part -- along with the current police station -- of the Vinton School for Girls
11/29 -- Herrick home, High Ridge Road, 1920s
12/6 -- Ridgefield School For Boys, North Salem Road, 1923
12/13 -- Thomas/Wellington/Eason, etc., home, Golf Lane
12/20 -- Main Street after the great fire, December, 1895
12/27 -- Jim Mitchell, formerly of Abbott Avenue, as an infant
Title Old Ridgefield photos from 1979
Caption May 10, 1979
Accession number 1979.000
Lexicon category 8: Communication Artifact
Lexicon sub-category Documentary Artifact
Imagefile 004\19790000201.JPG