Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1998.000.0201
Collection Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield
Object Name clippings
Scope & Content Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 1998

(no Old Ridgefield columns for missing dates)

1/8 -- the Portland Avenue bridge south of the Branchville Station, and the view beyond, when the current West Branchville Road was still the unpaved, unnumbered, "state road"
1/15 -- high school basketball team, 1940-41
1/22 -- three Ridgefield Hardware-related pictures: the store on its original site (opposite the present one); the site of the new store; the new store in place
1/29 -- Alfred Tulipani and Tony Del Biondo, high school pitcher and catcher, 1940
2/5 -- Howard P. Nash with horse and buggy and two lady passengers on Barrack Hill Road, n. d.
2/12 -- Titicus school, last year as a school in 1939; now the American Legion Hall (interesting head-on view of Saw Mill Hill Road)
2/19 -- "Windover", the home of Charles Ames Mitchell, on West Lane near the schoolhouse; the watering trough donated to the town by Mr. Mitchell. The trough was sited at several locations before ending up at the intersection of West Lane and Olmstead Lane
2/26 -- three photos of the October, 1955, flood in Branchville
3/5 -- the Smith Tavern, corner of Main and Prospect, now the site of the library, in 1900
3/12 -- cast of the high school play, "Charlie's Aunt", 1920
3/19 -- east side of Main Street in the town center, just north of Bedient's, in about 1920 -- Mignery's Drug Store, Hibbart's Market, Rocklein's Barber Shop, Charles Wade Walker's Happy Shop, and the Dent (Barhite) Block
3/26 -- Main Street south from about the site of the original Odd Fellows hall, ca. 1915
4/2 -- 1905 postcard view of two ladies on horseback at the foot of Main Street (used in the Ridgefield "Images" book)
4/9 -- 1905-1915 postcard view of East Ridge from about the location of the Ridgefield Bank drive-up; a man, woman, and two children are in the photo, but no IDs are provided
4/16 -- the KEB (Keeler, Elliott, and Brown) service station on Danbury Road, which eventually became the site of the current mobile station, in the 1930s; Charles Elliott, and then son Charles, Jr., ran the station well into the 70s (two other views are at 9/14/78 and 12/9/93)
4/23 -- 1940s postcard view of the La Bretagne Inn, which stood at the intersection of Olmstead Lane and West Lane; the building shown was heavily damaged in a 1947 fire, and then burned down completely in 1953
4/30 -- the Biglow Building in the center of town, ca. 1915
5/7 -- Russell Bell, son of Dr. & Mrs. Joseph Bell, in the 1950s, with his bell collection
5/14 -- house at 58 Prospect St., corner of East Ridge, (long the Marconi's), possibly in the 1930s
5/21 -- cover of the Ridgefield Archives Committee Village Walks book
5/28 -- current First Congrgational Church, ca. 1900
6/4 -- second First Congregational Church building, on the town green, in October, 1886; very clear picture and may be the oldest in the Press' archives
6/11 -- Sperry's Livery Stable on Catoonah St., ca. 1913
6/18 -- Titicus PTA parade float, 1930s
6/25 -- ivy-covered town hall ca. 1920, with Coleman's Lunch in the background
7/2 -- high school track team in the mid-1930s; IDs provided
7/9 -- [no picture]
7/16 -- [no picture]
7/23 -- Col. Conley's Outpost Nurseries headquarters building, still standing on the west side of Rte. 7 just north of the intersection with Rte. 35
7/30 -- the horse-drawn Ridgefield Bakery delivery buggy with a young man standing by; it is possible the the man is Rudolph Hurzeler, who, with his wife, owned the bakery for most of the first half of the 20th century; the bakery, in the Biglow building, became the Roma Pizzeria and is still a pizzeria
8/6 -- an autogiro, but not the one famously owned by Mr. Herrick of High Ridge; see the note accompanying the 8/13 Old Ridgefield for details
8/13 -- Matty (Armando) Pambianchi and Dom D'Addario in their WWII uniforms
8/20 -- DeBenigno's General Store, on the original Rte. 7 just south of the train station, in the 1920s
8/27 -- the original Ridgefield Town House (town hall), in an engraving ca. 1876
9/3 -- Jack Sanders' home on Olmstead Lane, one of the original Olmstead residences
9/10 -- view of Rte. 7 just south of Branchville Road, showing the original Ancona's Market and the future site of the current Ancona's Market
9/17 -- Mary Trepel, who, with her husband, toured nationally and overseas putting on magic shows for American Troops during WWII; the Trepels named the old highway on which they lived Trepel Lane
9/24 -- First National Bank (Wachovia/Wells Fargo) in 1911; postcard view with much of the background edited out
10/1 -- Branchville train station early in the 20th century, seen from the Portland Avenue bridge on the south end, showing the platform and track layout at the time,
10/15 -- [no picture]
10/22 -- Bob Maxwell in F. E. Lewis' 1919 Packard, outside the gates of "Upaganstit" on West Lane in the 1920s
10/29 -- Francis and Doris Martin, early 1970s
11/5 -- the Ridgefield Registration Board, a type of draft board, June 5, 1917
11/12 -- dedication of the War Memorial on Main Street at Branchville Road; Civil War veterans James Davis, Madison Davis, and Hiram Davis (possibly but not certainly, brothers), Harry Hull, Roy Delacour and a "Col. Schaeffel"
11/19 -- Hartmann photo of George Tator and Frank Fanin, with hunting party and dogs, fresh from a raccoon hunt in the early 1920s
11/25 -- committee of ninth graders from the East Ridge Junior High School planning an activity night, 1971
12/3 -- the U. S. Grant Gay family of Spectacle Lane, 1905
12/10 -- gathering of the Gilbert family, Labor Day 1899
12/17 -- the Big Shop on Bailey Avenue when it was the Davis & Douglas Stable
12/23 -- engraving from Teller's history showing the Hauley house and Congrgational church on the town green; used for Museum in the Streets
12/30 -- [no picture]
Title Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 1998
Caption April 23, 1998
Accession number 1998.000
Lexicon category 8: Communication Artifact
Lexicon sub-category Documentary Artifact
Imagefile 004\19980000201.JPG