Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2001.000.0201
Collection Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield
Object Name clippings
Scope & Content Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 2001

(no Old Ridgefield columns for missing dates)

1/4 -- a St. Mary's confirmation class from the fifties, with most of the class members identified (it is not a First Communion class, as suggested, because the children are wearing symbolic scapulars, and are from different school years
1/11 -- Romeo Petroni and Reed Shields, both one-time judges of probate, at a Republican Party event, shown with someone who might be congressional candidate Ed May
1/18 -- the St. Mary's CYO girls basketball team in 1960, all identified and with several familiar faces
1/25 -- Irving Conklin, shown at the corner of Main and Gilbert, delivering milk in the midst of a two-day snowstorm in February, 1934; photo by Dick Venus, who later became a local dairyman himself
2/1 -- the Boys Club at its original location on Governor Street in about 1953; the building was torn down to make way for the Ridgefield Bank Drive-In office (identifications provided)
2/8 -- Jack Emmons, mother Florence Mead Emmons, and brother Charles, ca. 1918
2/15 -- high school play, title not given, 1945; identifications provided
2/22 -- fireman Mario Frulla, demonstrating the the use of a resuscitator on Gerry Korker, wife of photographer Clarence Korker, 1954
3/1 -- the second Congregational Church and Meeting house building, on the town green; and a model of the building that was on wheels and featured in parades
3/8 -- building that at the time of the photo, in the 1950s, was the Waldeck Kennels. Prior to that, it had been Col. Conley's kennel for his Outpost Nurseries and the Gaines (dog food) experimental kennels, and then became the Red Lion steak house after Waldeck. Now condominiums.
3/15 -- Barbara Deegan and Annette Zelson, Meals On Wheels, 1964
4/19 -- the very small building that was, when it was located on Governor Street, the town's original library, then telegraph office, and eventually the water supply company headquarters. This photo was taken after it had been moved to Francis Martin's Great Pond Bathing Beach to serve as the office, and was subsequently vandalized and had to be torn down. A much earlier photo is at 5/31. Other photos are at 5/26/94, 7/1/99, and 6/1/00
4/26 -- Galloway's pub, in what was then the Grand Union shopping center, after a propane explosion in July, 1985
5/3 -- cast of the high school play "Daddy Longlegs", 1925
5/10 -- the Lynch family at their West Mountain estate, ca. 1910; the house became the motherhouse for the Congregation of Notre Dame, and then, currently, the Ridgefield Academy
5/24 -- a third or fourth grade class in 1954, shortly after St. Mary's school opened, conducted in what was then known as the Clubhouse (now the church offices). Identifications provided.
5/31 -- see the entry for 4/19, above.
6/7 -- Ted Shane and daughter Gretchen, Eric Wohlforth and mother Mildred, shown backstage at a 1945 performance of "Hellzapoppin" with costar Ole Olsen of Olsen and Johnson. Shane lived on North Salem Road and was at various times a screenwriter, film critic, and the author of profiles of various notables.
6/14 -- ground breaking for the Benrus plant, 1964; first selectman Leo Carroll, Governor John Dempsey, Benrus Chairman Victor Lazarus and President Julian Lazarus, shown on a Morganti bulldozer. In 2010, the building, on Route 7 about a mile south of the intersection with Rte. 35, is a professional center
6/21 -- the Scott Block (now Addessi block) ca 1954
6/28 -- 1940 postcard view of the Kane Inn on West Lane, once the home of Ambassador to Siam George Pratt Ingersoll, later Tode's and the Inn at RIdgefield and Bernard's Inn at RIdgefield
7/5 -- the Methodist Church and parsonage, Main and Catoonah, ca. 1890s
7/12 -- unidentified house from a 1909 ad by a New York City real estate firm
7/19 -- Walter Hampden, a noted actor, shown with a young Dan McKeon; McKeon and Walter's son Paul were long-time fixtures on the planning and zoning commission
7/26 -- elementary school students in colonial costume for the 250th anniversary parade, May 1958
8/2 -- unidentified house, ca. 1900-1915
8/9 -- postcard view of "Main Street, Branchville, Conn." in about 1925. Now called West Branchville Road, the street was the "State Road" and was the predecessor to Route 7. The building shown, then a store, is still there.
8/16 -- George Mench aerial photo of the center of town in about 1956
8/23 -- Marie Kendall photo of the First Congregational Church in
1889, about a year after construction
8/30 -- the First National Bank building at Main and Governor in 1905, probably soon after construction; now a Wachovia branch of Well Fargo
9/6 -- the Lounsbury house, now Community Center, in 1910
9/13 -- the staff of the Union Trust bank in photo from May 1980, all identified
9/20 -- the Peatt home on Danbury Road, located on the site of the present Talbot's clothing store, at the turn of the 20th century (of interest -- on the reverse side of this page is a photo of Julius Tulipani, with children Bob, Gwen, and Phyllis)
9/27 -- the original Italian American Mutual Aid Society building, built in 1926 and replaced by the current one in the 50s
10/4 -- cast of the 1941 high school play, "China Boy"
10/11 -- LIfe's Farm main building in 1913; Life's farm was a summer camp in Branchville -- on the site of the current Branchville School -- for underprivileged city children, sponsored by Life Magazine and founded by John Ames Mitchell, who was the editor and publisher of the magazine and lived on West Lane
10/18 -- Life's Farm main building around the turn of the last century; photo credited to Kay Ables of the Ridgefield Archives Committee
10/25 -- the Hidden Barn, later the Hickory and Tweed ski shop, located in the northwest corner of the Grand Union (now CVS) parking lot; the building was destroyed by a suspicious fire in the 70s
11/1 -- the Candle Shop on Route 7 in 1961; located near the present BMW dealer, on the opposite side, it was a quite popular gift shop in its day
11/8 -- the Life's Farm barn and fields, with a ball game in progress
11/15 -- Vietnam war demonstrations, pro and con, at Main and Catoonah, June, 1969
11/21 -- Francis Martin with the directors of the Branchville Fresh Air Camp, ca. 1950s (see "Life's Farm" above)
11/29 -- the W. S. Hawk home, "Hawk's Nest" on Branchville Road opposite East Ridge; what began as a minor fire eventually burned the massive structure to the ground
12/6 -- random mailbox vandalism in 1967
12/13 -- the Benedict homestead on the lower west side of Main Street near Wilton Road West, 1880s
12/20 -- busy day at the Ridgefield Station on Prospect Street; the date is ca. 1905, before the roof had been converted to the well-known cistern configuration
Title Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 2001
Caption August 9, 2001
Accession number 2001.000
Lexicon category 8: Communication Artifact
Lexicon sub-category Documentary Artifact
Imagefile 004\20010000201.JPG