Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1995.000.0201
Collection Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield
Object Name clippings
Scope & Content Ridgefield Press Old Ridgefield photos & columns for the year 1995

(no Old Ridgefield columns for missing dates)

1/5 -- 1964 presidential election collage: Alice V. Rowland at GOP headquarters, Bob Bolander, Mary Mahoney, Phil Hilsenrad, and Jack O'Keeffe outside Democratic headquarters, small boys at the Citizens for Johnson headquarters, and the League of Women Voters votemobile
1/12 -- Limestone Schoolhouse and student body, no date and no identifications
1/19 -- the Bedient building and the buildings north of it, draped in mourning for President McKinley, 1901
1/26 -- the Big Shop on Bailey avenue in about 1970, when it housed Coleman Murray's car wash and wax business (same picture is at April 15, 2005, with considerable background information)
2/2 -- postcard with drawing of the Port of Missing Men and an attendant verse citing the virtues of visiting and dining there
2/9 -- the Smith Tavern at the corner of Main and Prospect (current site of the Library), n. d.
2/16 -- the Ridgefield Grange booth at a fair or similar event held on the Ballard estate grounds, 1912-13
2/23 -- the west side of Main Street south from the current Reveis Realty office, early- or mid-1910s
3/2 -- the Denton (Barhite) block and several stores north of it after a snowstorm in either 1922 or the 1930s
3/9 -- five members of Miss Cleves' kindergarten, ca. 1918 (see 9/7 below)
3/16 -- home of Dr. B. A. Bryon on Main Street, torn down to make way for the Beninsen (Grand Union) shopping center in the 50s
3/23 -- St. Mary's Rectory (razed in the 1960s) ca. 1897
3/30 -- the intersection of Main Street and West Lane, looking due west from the pre-fountain triangle
4/5 -- St. Mary's Clubhouse (now the parish offices) around 1905 when the streets were still dirt roads and there were no sidewalks
4/13 -- the branch line train wreck near the Ivy Hill crossing, April 1905
4/20 -- the Ridgefield Playhouse when almost new, 1940
4/27 -- West Lane east from Parley Lane with the D. F. Bedient resident prominently in view, postcard view, n. d.
5/4 -- the John Ames Mitchell residence near the corner of West Lane and South Salem Road, 1920s-30s
5/11 -- the Press building on Bailey Avenue, ca. 1940
5/18 -- the town center north, viewed from the second story of what was once the Perry's Market building, late 1940s
5/25 -- St. Stephen's Wesley Hall, n. d.
6/1 -- Victory Day parade, August 14, 1946, women veterans/marchers Marie Stefanelli Russo, Winifred Finch, unidentified, and Rita Potter
6/8 -- St. Stephen's third church building, on the same site as the current edifice, prior to 1915
6/15 -- another view of the August, 1946, Victory Day parade
6/29 -- a boating excursion in 1896, Mrs. John D. Nash and daughter Marion with two others
7/13 -- the linden moth invasion, 1970
7/27 -- the "teahouse" at the Port of Missing Men, n. d.
8/3 -- unidentified bridge in Branchville, probably over the Norwalk River
8/10 -- Branchville Station ca. 1920s
8/17 -- East Ridge as seen from in front of the original 'Grovelawn" building on Governor Street (now the RE/MAX building)
8/24 -- outing to an unidentified beach, featuring about two dozen young ladies; photo found among the effects of Mabel Cleves
9/7 -- Miss Mabel Cleves with two of her kindergarten pupils, 1910
9/14 -- "Upaganstit", the Lewis estate on West Lane, as seen from the front gates on the street, and in a 1940s postcard view when it was the Ridgefield Country Club
9/21 -- William O. Seymour with grandson Karl S. Nash
9/28 -- familiar view of the Ridgefield Station with chidren in the foreground; view of Branchville Station, 1962
10/5 -- the Bailey Inn, which stood on Main Street just north of the King house on the corner of Main and King Lane, n. d.
10/12 -- members of the Lions Club stringing Christmas lights, December 1950: Abe Morelli, Dr. Charles Izzo, Amadeo "Matty" Contessa, Bill Oexle, Richard Mead, Arthur Nelson, Marvin Jensen, John Walters, and Bill Casey (same picture is at 11/24/04)
10/19 -- [no picture]
11/2 -- postcard mailed from the NY, NH, & Hartford Railroad (railway post office) at Branchville, 1906
11/21 -- 1962 CYO officers Terri Carboni, Toni Frulla, Jack Baldaserini, Richard Rouse, and Manolo Vega
11/30 -- Main Street south from Prospect, after a snowstorm, ca. 1930s
12/14 -- the Branchville-Ridgefield shuttle bus stalled in three feet of snow on Branchville Road, February 1926
12/20 -- Bob Gustafson cartoon featuring Charlie Ashbee, who played Santa Claus for generations of Ridgefield Children; photo of Mr. Ashbee receiving a jacket from the Lions club in 1959 in honor of his 30 years with the club and 29 as Santa Claus
Title Old Ridgefield photos & columns from 1995
Caption October 12, 1995
Accession number 1995.000
Lexicon category 8: Communication Artifact
Lexicon sub-category Documentary Artifact
Imagefile 004\19950000201.JPG
Source Ridgefield Historical Society